search GCS placer home seperator parents seperator students seperator community seperator employees

Department Links

Contact Information

To receive more information about exceptional children, please contact:

Susan Griffin
Executive Director -
Exceptional Children
134 Franklin Blvd.
Greensboro, NC 27401  
(336) 370-2323 Phone


New to GCS EC?

Andrews students studying
Hampton student and teacher
General Greene students
Parkview music student
Smith Art student

Dear Parents,

Greetings and welcome to Guilford County Schools Exceptional Children Services. We hope to make your transition to a new school system an easy one. Guilford County Schools offers a wide variety of services to meet your child’s needs.

To start your process, register your child at his/her home school. If you do not know the home school in your area, click here to find your home school. Once you have located your home school, click here to find the NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION INFORMATION page. On this page you will find general instructions on what you will need to register your child in Guilford County Schools.
Students new to the district will need to bring the following to their school's registration office:

  • Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
  • Immunization Records
  • Proof of Residence (See Acceptable Forms of ID for Proof of Residence)
  • North Carolina General Statutes require that an Affidavit of Student in Good Standing be completed by the parent or court appointed guardian/custodian for any new student transferring to Guilford County Schools from another school outside our district. This does not pertain to students who are transferring within Guilford County Schools or for students who have never been enrolled in a public or private school (for instance first time kindergarten students or students that have always attended home school).

Guilford County Schools will request school records from the previous school. It is important, however, to bring your child’s current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) when you register. Upon reviewing the IEP, it may be determined that your home school is not the appropriate school for your child. The Exceptional Children Program Administrator assigned to your home school will facilitate the process of determining what school will be appropriate.

Guilford County Schools Exceptional Children Services believes in parent involvement. The Exceptional Children Parent Advisory Council meets monthly with the Executive Director. Please visit the ECPAC webpage

If you have any questions, please call the Exceptional Children Services office at 336-370-2323, or the EC Parent Liaison, Stephanie Antkowiak at 336-370-2319

We look forward to working with your family!


Betty Anne Chandler
Executive Director – Exceptional Children

Letter to new Parents - PDF


In compliance with federal laws, Guilford County Schools administers all educational programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination because of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, color, age, military service, disability or gender, except where exemption is appropriate and allowed by law. Refer to the Board of Education's Discrimination Free Environment Policy AC for a complete statement. Inquiries or complaints should be directed to the Guilford County Schools Compliance Officer, 120 Franklin Boulevard, Greensboro, NC 27401; 336.370.2323.

All Guilford County Schools facilities, both educational and athletic, are tobacco-free learning environments.

©2009 Guilford County Schools, 712 North Eugene Street, Greensboro, NC 27401 336.370.8100

contact us

Contact Us