One Million Books Links
To receive more information on One Million Books, please contact the following:
Community Relations Department
712 N. Eugene St.
Greensboro, NC 27401
My organization/business wants to adopt a school
GCS is actively seeking partners who are willing to adopt one of the district’s 120 schools. The goal of these partnerships will be to engage students, staff, parents, volunteers and the school’s local community in the one million books campaign.
Adopt-a-School Partner contributions and opportunities include:
- Working with the school leadership team and PTA to set a reading goal for the school
- Recruiting volunteers to serve as reading buddies for students and classrooms
- Helping students connect proficiency in reading with “real life” examples and workforce needs (as is age appropriate)
- Assisting media center specialists in promoting and tracking the school’s reading campaign
- Donating books for students to own and take home with them
- Donating funds or books for classroom use
- Donating funds to purchase books for media center use
- Hosting family literacy nights, story-telling festivals, book-publishing projects and other fun activities that promote reading and family togetherness/education
- Publicizing their adopted school’s reading and literacy efforts, challenges and successes
- Providing incentives (bookmarks, books, certificates, etc.) for students, classrooms and the school for meeting its goal
The district’s community relations office can serve as a co-partner to help steer you to the path you wish to choose. Call the community relations office 370-8355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I want to volunteer
Volunteers will serve as a vital part of One Million Books’ success. Helping a child to read will last a lifetime and will benefit both the student and the volunteer. Becoming a reading buddy is a great volunteer opportunity, and many schools already have a program in place. By reading with a student on a weekly basis, you can help develop a child’s reading foundation and work with the student’s teacher to pinpoint problem areas.
Other opportunities for individuals are available, including: working with a media specialist to organize a One Million Books section in a school’s library, donating appropriate books to a school or a student group and reading to a class.
For more information about how you can help students improve their reading skills, please call 336-370-8353 or e-mail email@example.com.
I want to be an OMB Ambassador
What’s a One Million Books Ambassador? An OMB Ambassador is someone who understands the importance of a strong reading foundation and has the desire to spread that message to other individuals, organizations and businesses. Guilford County Schools will provide OMB ambassadors information about the literacy initiative, reading events and other appropriate information regarding One Million Books and literacy. Your job is to simply spread the information and if others want to help, tell them how! Contact 336-370-8353 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about OMB Ambassadors.
In compliance with federal laws, Guilford County Schools administers all educational programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination because of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, color, age, military service, disability or gender, except where exemption is appropriate and allowed by law. Refer to the Board of Education's Discrimination Free Environment Policy AC for a complete statement. Inquiries or complaints should be directed to the Guilford County Schools Compliance Officer, 120 Franklin Boulevard, Greensboro, NC 27401; 336.370.2323.
All Guilford County Schools facilities, both educational and athletic, are tobacco-free learning environments.